NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Training with the Group

I'm part of a triathlon club. It's mostly women, and I'd say I'm the least experienced and least athletic of the group. And I'm no slacker.

This morning at master swim, we were doing sets of 4 x 25 meters on 30 seconds. By the end of each of those sets, I was seriously sucking wind, and everyone else looked happy and content. That's ok, though, they're all faster swimmers than I am. If I'm pushing to finish 25 meters in 23 seconds, then 7 seconds just isn't enough rest. By the last time we did this, I lengthened the time to 35 seconds, so I'd have a little over ten seconds rest. Still tiring, but at least no one would have to pull my body out of the pool.

I wonder, as the least talented amongst this group of triathletes, should I feel like a loser? I don't. I train with them, and even if I'm not as fast, I know I'm getting stronger. Being around talented people really motivates me, and I'm going to use that motivation to do as well as I can in my first triathlon on June 9.

5 comments:

urban vegan said...

It's very Zen of you to just see where you are and not get all competitive or worse yet, just quit. It's better to hang around with people who are faster than you than slower...

KleoPatra said...

Yer doin' great, kiddo!

Jen said...

Triathlon is all relative & it sounds like you're working out with some really speedy folks! Training with this group will pay off with some awesome race times, I bet. I admire your guts to do the group training...

Sheree' said...

YOu are doing great,Doc! Everyone runs at a different pace in life, yet we are all trying to achieve a goal. Each day we stay positive and work toward our goal, the better we become. I am proud of you and you are an inspiration to all!

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,

As a couple folks' earlier posts have mentioned, the BEST way to improve performance times is to train with folks faster/stronger than you. My 67+ year old hubbie, who is an awesome cyclist, routinely trains with folks in their 20's and 30's in order to be around folks faster and stronger than he.

Hang in there, and watch your triathalon times get faster and faster!!