NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Friday, April 24, 2009

Ablated!


I had my SVT ablation today (for more on that, read the post below this).

It was a long procedure -- about three and a half hours, since I had an atypical electrical pathway. I now understand why adenosine is so uncomfortable and how isoproterenol makes the heart pound. I recall lying on the cath lab table, in a fog of versed and fentanyl (sedation medications), as my heart would intermittently pound. But in the end, it was a success.

The staff in the cath lab and the nurses on the floor were great.

I definitely have a new appreciation for what my patients go through.
Image from heartrhythmguide.com

8 comments:

The Girl said...

Congratulations. I'm so glad that it went well. :)

Crash Course Cardiologist said...

So glad all went well... congrats! You'll be back to your workouts in no time! :-)

Heatlh and Advocate said...

Congratulations. Really relieved with what you are sacrificing. :)

Anonymous said...

I am really glad that this procedure is behind you, that it was successful, and that you're ok. I bet it will make you a better, more compassionate doctor. Please post again soon after a workout and let us know how things are going for you in that department. -victoria

Anonymous said...

recently had ablation after dealing with svt for last 5 or 6 years...epiosdes became more frequent and interupted several triathlons...glad yours went so well...as a carido;ogist, do you receommend returning to racing so soon after procedure? best of luk.

VeganHeartDoc said...

Anon -- I hope you are recovering well from your ablation. Before starting up workouts again, you should rest for at least a few days. You have a couple of puncture wounds in your leg that will need to heal, and it may take a couple of days for the effects of the anesthetics that you received to wear out.

As for competing, I completed one of the toughest half-ironman distance races eight days later and had a great race. And, now over two years later, I've been cured of any major palpitations. As long as your doctor clears you, you can go back to competing.

Katie said...

Hi! I came across your blog while researching SVT. Did you find that your HR ran high a few weeks/months after your ablation? J/w b/c I had ablation #1 two months ago and ablation #2 a month ago and my HR is running high when I try to exercise. My docs says it's deconditioning from being out of running for 4 months, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks!

VeganHeartDoc said...

Katie -- I didn't notice any fast heart rates after my ablation. But, then again, I didn't take any time off from training before the procedure, and started exercising a few days after.