NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Two Weeks to Wildflower

I am racing Wildflower Long Course again this year.  It is one of the toughest half-Ironman-distance races -- 1.2 mile swim, a very hilly 56 mile bike, and a similarly challenging 13.1 mile hilly run.
For the most part, my training has been going well. Today's workout was a 3000 yard swim in the pool, my longest swim workout yet, followed by a 5 mile run at just under a 9:00/mile pace. I did have a lousy workout yesterday -- I was supposed to ride for two hours and then run for 45 minutes. I was not in the mood to ride, though my legs felt okay. I just wasn't feeling it, and with the lack of mind to override the body, so to speak, I ended up with a side stitch and quit at an hour and twenty minutes of riding.

We all have good days, and we all have bad days. Yesterday was a lousy day, and today was pretty great.

I've been riding and running lots of hills lately.  I have found some killer hills in my new neighborhood -- for those of you familiar with the San Fernando Valley, I run a route that includes a nearly two mile climb from Ventura Boulevard due south to Mulholland.  It's tough, but it's helped make me a strong hill runner.  My bike rides have taken me up several of the canyons from PCH up through the Santa Monica Mountains.

Last year's Wildflower was a pretty good race for me. But this year I want to do better. Last year I finished in 7:11; this year I want to break seven hours. I am more experienced and I think I'm more fit.  Coach Jamie of Triathlon Training Series, my coach for over two years, who has really helped me to grow as an athlete, continues to put together my workouts.  There have been changes, though.  Since January, I have a new personal trainer who pushes me very hard. Also, I also think my nutrition is better, incorporating more protein and less sugar and processed foods.

I have two more weeks to train.  This week will be challenging, and the following week will be a taper so that I am well rested for the race.

No comments: