NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Thursday, August 20, 2015

After the Ironman....

After my first marathon, or my first Ironman race, I remember feeling lost.  I had achieved my goal, and didn't have anything to aim for, to train to achieve.

I don't feel that way after Ironman Boulder.  Actually, I'm happy.  I took three days off from exercising after Ironman, then went swimming.  Three days may seem like a short period of time, but by then, I had no aches.  I felt energetic.

Now that I'm not training for an Ironman race, I can work out on my own terms.  If I want to run, I can run.  If I want to swim, I'll go swim.  If I want to bike... no I don't want to bike, so I haven't touched my bike in 3 weeks.

I still exercise six days a week because that's what makes me happy.  I've been doing a lot more swimming, and more strength training.

I swim with Golden Road Aquatics, a masters swim team in Burbank.  What if I swim five days a week with a team... what will happen?  I've never done that before.  Coach Mike Lucero has given me a few pointers on my swim stroke, and it's a great bunch of folks who show up at the pool.  Maybe one day I could swim in a meet.... we'll see.
photo courtesy of Shiggy Ichinomiya www.goshiggygo.com

And, I'm doing more strength training.  Leading up to the Ironman, I curtailed my heavy lifting for about two months, and was doing more functional training in the weeks before the race.  Now, I'm doing more strength training, and getting back to some of the heavier stuff.  

Yesterday at Tru Fit, I did 90 air squats, swung a 35 lb kettlebell 80 times, did 70 pull-ups, 60 burpees, 50 snatches with a 45 lb bar, 40 box jumps, and 30 push-ups.  That's all I got done before time was up, as that wasn't the entire workout, but it kicked my butt.

Did you know.... if you want to get skinny and get in the best shape of your life, an Ironman is NOT the way to do it???  I put on a couple of pounds, and definitely lost some muscle tone.  With weight training, I'm hoping to get some of that muscle back.

Malibu Triathlon is coming up on September 20.  I may put a bit more structure into my training before that, but for now I'm just having a good relaxing time doing what I want.

No comments: