NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, February 22, 2016

A Cardiologist's Breakfast

After opening up my refrigerator in my last post, I've been asked to share what I eat for breakfast.

Most weekdays, I'm up at 5 am to get ready for 6 am swim practice.  To wake me up, I drink a soy latte.  I mix about 8 oz of brewed coffee with 4 oz of steamed vanilla soy milk (organic/non-GMO of course!)   And here's where the magic happens, with my Breville machine.  This little toy makes a latte to rival any coffee chain, and at a fraction of the price.

Latte magic!

To fuel me for my swim, I drink a big green smoothie.  It takes me about five minutes to whip this up in the Vitamix, a high-powered blender:
My smoothie fruits and vegetables, before they go for a whirl

I blend a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a big handful of green veggies, which could be kale, spinach, swiss chard, or whatever is on hand, a stalk of celery, a handful of carrots, a banana, a pinch of spirulina powder, half a tablespoon of chia seeds (omega-3 power!), and about 5 cubes of ice.  Sometimes, I'll add some apple, a medjool date, or even a couple cubes of sweet potato, all of which add a unique flavor.

It's green and it's delicious!

I pour this into a big cup, drink about 2/3 of it in my car on the way to swim, and have the other third right after I get out of the pool.

If you're new to green smoothies, it might be a good idea to use more fruit and less greens to start, and as you get accustomed to the taste, then add more greens.

Typically, I go straight from the pool to work, arriving around 7:30 am.  I might round on a couple patients, or do a bit of work, and I'll get my second breakfast around 8-8:30 am in the doctors' dining room.
Delicious, healthy oatmeal, and stuff that's not so healthy.  All ready to consume in the doctor's dining room

You can see that there are many options available in the doctors' dining room.  I can't say that they're all good choices, and in fact some cause the diseases that I treat.  I choose the oatmeal.  I fill a bowl with cut up fruit, melons, pineapple, strawberries, pour oatmeal on top, and add a few walnuts (more omega-3's).

That's my typical breakfast, and that will fuel me until lunchtime, around 12:30.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I just started following your blog, and so far has been a interesting and informative read. I have a mammal meat allergy which includes dairy products, and have been looking for new ideas of things to eat when I came across your blog. Although, I'm not ready to commit to being a vegetarian or vegan just yet, I am trying to do a more plant based diet. Your comment about the foods in the doctors dining room reminds me of what offices would send us when I worked in private practice. I am a dental assistant, and offices that we would refer patients to would always send us cakes, cookies, candies, pies, cupcakes, anything sweet. We were always grateful, but always said could it hurt them to send a fruit or veggie platter every so often. I