NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Staying Fit on Vacation

I just returned from a relaxing trip to the Bahamas.

A lot of people see vacation as a time to throw caution to the wind, become sedentary, and eat obscene quantities of food.  I see things differently.

To me, vacation is a time to unwind.  But, because exercise makes me feel good, I keep it up.  I tone down my routine, but I still exercise in some way on most days of a vacation. 

I do a lot of running on a vacation.  I find that running is a great way to explore the local sights.  Another favorite workout is running barefoot on wet sand.  I go barefoot, and I run along the beach just where the waves touch the sand.  It's a little more challenging than running on trails and works different muscles.

I found another triathlete physician, and he put me through the paces of his own workout.  It was fun for me, because I always love a challenge.  We did intervals of ten minutes alternating on the bike and on the treadmill, and did a total of six intervals, followed by a brief swim (yes, me, voluntarily swimming in the off-season) in the ocean.

On vacation, the bottom line to exercising is to keep it fun.

2 comments:

Vegan Valerie said...

Exercising in the Bahamas?! I can't really think of anything better than that! Good job! Plus, you deserve a great vacation!

I always love to read your blog, Heather! Thank you for sharing with me!

Sara said...

How do you eat vegan when you travel?