NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Going for the BQ -- Boston Qualifier

I had an awesome triathlon season -- three Ironman 70.3 events, moving from top 27%, to top 23%, to top 20% in my age group.

After my nearly ten years as a multisport athlete, I have one goal on my bucket list -- the BQ.  Boston Qualifier.  And, as I turn 40 next year, there's no time like the present, since the qualifying standard becomes a slightly less challenging time of 3:45 as I age up.

I talked to my coach, Gerardo of Fortius Racing, and he thinks I can do it.  Actually, he has given me the goal of 3:39.  A 3:39 would give me adequate cushion to my time to make sure I can get a spot in the 2016 Boston Marathon.

I plan to qualify for the Boston Marathon at the Napa Marathon on March 1, 2015.

That's an 8:21 per mile pace.  I stutter a bit as I type that, because that's pretty darn fast.
Santa Monica Run Fest 10k, October 19, 2014 -- 51:14

I am currently in my base training, which is the early training for the marathon.  So far, I've been doing a lot of trail running.  But recently, the training has picked up, and I have to admit, it's a little scary.

On Friday morning, I had a workout goal to run 4 x one mile in 7:45-7:55 per mile, with 200 yards as a break in between each.  I hit my goal for the first two miles, but on the third mile I ran 8:05, and for the fourth, I had nothing left so I cut the mile down to a half mile and finished that in 3:59, an 8:00/mile pace.

My coach sounds confident that I can achieve a qualifying time if I do the workout plan that he gives me.  I am nervous, but I'm going to trust him, because he knows what he's talking about.

It's going to be a tough four months.  But, I'm ready for the challenge.

1 comment:

PGYx said...

I'm no coach, but based on your past athletic accomplishments I'm confident you can do it, too. Would bet money on it. Hope you have some fun doing it!