NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, December 07, 2014

Eating Healthy for the Holidays

The holidays are a tough time for those of us trying to stay healthy and stick to our fitness goals.

I knew I'd be heading to a couple social events in the evening, so lunch had to be healthy.

This is blended cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, and green onion sautéed in vegetable broth, with Trader Joes teriyaki baked tofu. When you blend cauliflower into tiny bits in a Vitamix, somehow it has so much more flavor.

In the evening, I was going to my friend Suzanne's "White Trash Christmas" party. It's a funny theme, and the food all fits the theme. Funny, and perhaps delicious to some, but definitely not healthy. Fried cheese sticks. Oreos. Pizza. Spam rolls. Chicken nuggets. In other words, stuff I don't eat.

I informed Suzanne that in spite of the theme that I was bringing a large salad to share. Yes, that's me, the healthy buzzkill.


I love a good salad! My strategy was to bring a salad that could serve as a complete dinner for me, or as an appetizer for others. Dark leafy lettuce, lentils, carrots, blended cauliflower (I'm on a bit of a kick with this blended cauliflower as you can tell), apple slices, organic cherry tomatoes, almonds, dried cranberries, and a Bragg's pomegranate dressing on the side.

And, even at a party where the theme is unhealthy food, my salad was essentially polished off.

Happy Holidays! And stay healthy!!!

3 comments:

Erin King said...

Always enjoy your posts. Happy Holidays!

PGYx said...

Am going to try your blended cauliflower trick -- please share more recipes with it! Family won't eat it, but I just bought one for me as I'm feeling "cauliflower-deficient."

Unknown said...

So you're a buzz kill just like me. My carnivore friends love it when I ask them what sort of flesh from a dead tortured animal they are eating tonight!! Keep up the good work. And I love your sense of humor. Maybe there is a future for you as a Vegan MD stand up!!!