NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Long Beach Marathon

Today I ran the Long Beach Marathon.

I wasn't sure whether to run with the 4 hour pace group or go it alone.  As the gun went off and the 4 hour pace group dashed ahead, my choice was made for me and I started on my own.  I easily settled into a pace of 9:15-9:20 per mile.

I was nervous about being able to keep that pace, but for the first 13 miles it felt comfortable.  Then my legs felt heavier, and I slowed down, averaging 9:59/mile for the second half of the race.

Highlights of the race were running through Cal State Long Beach during miles 17-18 and all the enthusiasm of the students cheering us on, and the nursing home that brought their residents outside -- I've never seen a row of twenty elderly people in wheelchairs bundled up cheering at a marathon, it was awesome!

At mile 25, one of the stomach cramps that I have been plagued with came upon me.  I ended up slowing to a walk for about two minutes until it passed, and then I ran the rest.  The last mile felt so long, and it felt so good to finish!

My finishing time was 4 hours, 12 minutes, 55 seconds.  It's my personal best by almost six minutes over my San Diego Marathon.  But, I'm not that pleased.  I feel like I missed my goal, and could have gone faster.  Maybe I needed more longer runs.  Nonetheless, a personal best is a personal best, and I'll take it.

I think that before I race California International Marathon in Sacramento on December 6 that I will do a few things differently:  I hope to do more long runs, and I will take two Immodiums instead of my usual one.

No comments: