NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, March 05, 2012

Running With Dogs

I've never loved "recovery runs".  They're usually on days when I'm tired out from doing a long run the day before.

I've turned them into an opportunity -- to exercise my dogs.

I have two retired racing greyhounds.  This is Gold.  He is 8 years old.  Once upon a time, he chased a stuffed rabbit around a track.  Now he chases me as I shuffle through the neighborhood.


And this is Curves.  She is 6 years old.  She is a greyhound, but at her petite size of 51 pounds, she was never a racer.
These guys are 45 mile per hour sprinters who can catch a squirrel in my backyard (yes that's pretty gross cleaning up the mess).  But when it comes to distance running, I am a little faster than they are.  We're happy doing a 11-12 minute per mile pace.

We stop a lot.  We sniff and pee and poop on things (well, I don't do those things, but my dogs do).  We say hello to other dogs in the neighborhood.  And overall, we have a good time.

The dogs are great companions.  They get my mind off of worrying about my pace.  They remind me of why I run -- to escape, to feel good, to free my mind of stress and obligations.

And when they are exercised, they are happier.

 Here we are.  One big happy family of runners.

4 comments:

CaniRunners said...

What lovely dogs you have. Here in the UK, running with dogs is becoming a highly competitive sport. I have been doing canicross for a few years now and I wouldn’t think of leaving my buddies behind. If it wasn’t for canicross I would not be anywhere near as active as I am now.

Nurse and Hospital Stories said...

"They remind me of why I run -- to escape, to feel good, to free my mind of stress and obligations."

Ah, dogs are not just man's best friend but also a great therapy. :)

Cheers,
Peny@scrub uniforms

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather. I love your dogs. I just lost my two greys this year. Both to bone cancer. :( Love them well. I'm a nice Jewish boy in San Diego and like your blog. Here is mine on greyhound corns. http://greycorndog.blogspot.com/ Give your greys a hug for me. I will get two more soon. Shalom.

VeganLinda said...

We just adopted a black smallish greyhound who was used for breeding not racing. She is also about six years old. She inspires the entire family to run and is a sweetie.