NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Saturday, January 20, 2007

My Boston Marathon Dream May Be Over

I can't tell you how badly I wanted to run the Boston Marathon.

But my right hip is injured. I've done two weeks of physical therapy. My diagnosis is a combination of iliotibial band syndrome and muscle imbalance, with my hamstrings being too strong compared to my quads.

I have not run in three weeks. I have maintained my level of fitness as best possible by running in the pool, swimming, spinning, and using the elliptical trainer.

My registration is due this Wednesday. There are twelve weeks and two days until the Boston Marathon. If I started running again in the next week, I can do it. It wouldn't be the greatest performance ever, but I'd finish. Any later than that, then I think it will be a lost cause.

So, I'm coming to terms with the reality of the situation. To be positive about it, I can say that I've started training for triathlon season, which is in the spring. Were I not injured, I wouldn't be swimming or biking.

3 comments:

Harmonia said...

So very sorry to hear about your injury! Please keep us posted...saw you on my incoming links...good thing because I don't think I have this URL in my bloglines for you!

Your (and your injury) are in my thoughts

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize. I've commented before about ITBS, and as someone who has been out for over a year once because of that bit of fascia, and who is off running right now (and have been for 3 weeks) for only a minor inflamation of the fascia...I hate to be a downer, but my experience with ITBS makes me advise you in the strongest possible terms to just put aside the boston marathon for another day. Concentrate on nothing other than what you can do on a given day or you'll be frustrated all the time with goals seemingly out of reach just when you thought you'd be able to reach for them.

Believe me, you don't want to keep injuring it until you are off for a full year and then take another 4 months to get to the point where you can run 3 miles.

I'm actually going to fly back to denver once the weather is nicer and go for a run with my chi-running trainer. She's the only one who has ever been able to fix me up and get me running again, and I'm in need. I tried all the PT, the foam rolling, the new shoes, the shoe inserts, the cross training, the every thing that everyone ever recommends for ITBS. None of it worked. Hopefully you'll have better luck, but if not...well, chi running is worth trying, and would almost definitely help you as much as it helped me. I'm sure there are trainers in the boston area.

Best of luck. I know it is frustrating to be injured, but keep doing the everything-but-running, and try not to let it get you down too much. Patience is hard won, but worth it for injury-recovery. You will find a way to get past it, and there is nothing sweeter than the first time you're able to run 3 miles with no IT pain after a bout of ITBS. Trust me, I know. :)

um yeah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I am glad that you are looking at this in a positive light.