NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Portobello, sweet potatoes, and spinach in 30 minutes

Here's an easy meal to make from a sweet potato, frozen chopped spinach, and portobello mushroom caps. If you enjoy multitasking as I do, you'll be done in 30 minutes.


Portobello Mushroom:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean portobello caps and remove stems. Mix up a marinade with equal parts balsalmic vinaigrette, tamari sauce (sweet soy sauce), and olive oil. Brush the top of the portobellos and put in oven for 7 minutes. Then turn the mushrooms over, marinate the bottoms, and cook for 7 minutes more.

Spinach:
Add some oil (I used sesame oil in honor of my friend Lisa :) to a large pan and some mustard seeds and cook on medium heat. When the mustard seeds are popping, add frozen spinach and some vegan margarine (I like Earth Balance Buttery Spread). Then add salt and spices of your choosing -- I like cumin, coriander, basil, turmeric, oregano, pepper, and chili powder. You can also add some chopped tomato or tomato sauce, or even chunks of tofu. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes.

Sweet potatoes:
Fill a medium pot of water and set to boil. Peel and chop a sweet potato into several small pieces so that it softens more rapidly. When done, drain potatoes, add Earth Balance and a little cinnamon sugar and mash the potatoes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, tanks. I'm glad to know I'm able to have some small influence in your kitchen. :-)

I think I will definitely try to make this dinner, especially if it can be done in 30 minutes. Everything sounds really good.

BTW, what's the countdown til the triumphant return of hubby-the-great? :-)

VeganHeartDoc said...

Stella --- Hmmm, let's see... "Here's my delicious recipe for a stir fry, and here is a story of some guy's weiner getting sliced off with a chainsaw...." I don't know :)

Lisa -- "hubby-the-great" will be back in 6 days.