NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I've Lost My Mojo

Some days you're on fire. Some days you're not.

Today in the cath lab, I prepared to do a right heart catheterization, in other words go through a vein in the neck with a catheter to take pressure measurements of the right side of the heart and the lungs. The patient's veins were tiny because he was so dehydrated, and I tried and tried and tried.... and then stuck my needle into his carotid artery!!!!

Then, I was so frustrated, that when I tried to get the vein in his leg, I missed. My attending, impatient with my handiwork, took the needle and in two seconds had his needle in the femoral vein.

Fortunately, there were no immediate complications of me sticking this patient's carotid artery. But, I'm still disappointed in myself.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Doc. I'm trying to be sympathetic and all, but the only thing I can think is GAH! ALL THOSE NEEDLES!!!

I really, really, REALLY hope today has been better.

chick pea said...

doc,

u rock.
don't worry.
we all have bad days.

eat some hummus.
all will be better.. that hummus pizza looks great...


hugs