NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, April 24, 2006

Mock Tuna Sandwich


Okay, so I gave up fish at age 11 when I grew attached to my fishtank friends, so I truly have no concept of what tuna should taste like. This is a recipe out of this month's Vegetarian Journal. It makes for a terrific, filling sandwich.

Mock 'Tuna' Salad
(Serves 3)
1 cup canned chickpeas
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 small onion, firmly chopped
3 Tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I used 2)
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mash chickpeas in a small bowl. Ad remaining ingredients and mix well.

6 comments:

KleoPatra said...

VeganDoc, that looks really good. I've had Morningstar Farms' Tuno before and its consistency and flavour is much like how i remember tuna to feel/taste. Not too hot on it as i was never a big fish fan. (Maybe it's the Pisces thing?)

Thank you for posting this. It looks quite credible and quite edible.

Melissa said...

That is one of my favourite sandwich fillers of all time! I remember tuna's distinct taste, and while the chickpea mash doesn't taste exactly like that, it has the same consistency that a tuna sandwich would..and I actually like it more!

Anonymous said...

I make this Tuno Salad also and it's one of my favorite lunch sandwiches. I do add in 1/2 tsp. of dulse flakes to give it even more of a tuna flavor, along with great nutrients. Another thing I like to throw in are chopped baby gerkin pickles.

Kuntal Joisher said...

seems easy, healthy and tasty.. will try!! chickpeas r sooooo goood!!!

Anonymous said...

I like to add a little bit of kelp powder.

Jay said...

I always add a tiny bit of kelp powder, some nutrional yeats, a few pickles, and something spicey (hot ketchup or cayenne pepper) to it aswel. it is divine on toasted bread with crudities or on a french bread <3