NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Why is it....

..... that non-veg people can get so weird when you ask about their recipes?

One friend was talking about a matzah lasagna recipe. I was curious, because I'm always looking for cool things to cook. So I asked, "What vegetables are in it?"

She replied, "It had portobello mushrooms, and sauce, and spinach, and.... oh you won't like this.... it had meat in it too."

I know that she, like most people in this country, eats meat. And I find it gross, but I accept it. But, I ask about the recipe because it sounds like something that I could make, and with a few minor adjustments it could be vegan, not to judge people.

6 comments:

KleoPatra said...

"oh you won't like this"

i get that ALL the time...

*rolls eyes*

Anonymous said...

After reading "Living with a Meat Eater", I have come to believe that people's reactions to vegetarians come from their own uncomfortableness (is that a word?) with the fact that they eat meat and I don't. At some gut level they know they probably shouldn't be eating meat either.

Anonymous said...

Or they're just trying to be sensitive to your feelings, and show an awareness for the decision you've made.

I probably would have said the same.

Melissa said...

If I were a meat eater and a vegan expressed interest in making something I had made, only vegan, I would be flattered. I'd ask for my family's recipes, but it seems whenever we get together, they're just grilling meat :P I'll show them, this summer I'll BBQ up some seitan or something haha.

Danielle said...

Well, when someone thinks you won't like it because of the meat, you can always say, I can always make it without the meat.

Anonymous said...

Well, it IS true that you don't like meat. Maybe that's all they're getting at. Anyway, maybe I'll dig up my baked ziti recipe. I have successfully made vegetarian versions for Amy, so it shouldn't be that far to go to make it vegan.