NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, October 02, 2006

Fasting and Atoning


Today is Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. In order to atone for our sins, we fast, as in don't eat or drink, for twenty-four hours. However, at sundown when we can eat again, it is tradition to have a big festive break-the-fast dinner.

I'm going to a potluck this evening. Presumably, I'm the only vegan who will be there. I'm bringing this baked ziti, which is based on a recipe for stuffed shells from Farm Sanctuary. The faux ricotta is a mixture of firm regular tofu, silken tofu, lemon juice, Tofutti "better-than" cream cheese, and spinach.

And, being a good vegan guest, I'll bring a dessert too: The world's most amazing chocolate chip cookies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the ziti looks yummy! I found your blog doing a "vegan" search, as I'm fairly new to the vegan diet (today is the start of my third month).

Cate said...

I was wondering why there was no school today...

thanks posting that recipe! I saw a "ravioli lasagne" that looked great, but as all storebought ravioli contain cow, I havent made it yet.

Regina said...

Looks scrumptuous! Thanks for the great links! I am in total awe of your efforts to be both a cardiologist and vegan! Finally a doc that gets it!!

Melissa said...

That looks delicious, as usual!

And the choc. chips looks great too. My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipes are in Vive le Vegan, How It All Vegan, and La Dolce Vegan...but I'm always open to new options ;)

lesley, welcome to the diet :D

Anonymous said...

:o) Hope you had a meaningful fast. I know i did... Love yer ziti there, Vegan Doc. And you can't go wrong with the chocolate chip cookies. Yummerz!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

since becoming vegan, Dreena's Homestyle CC Cookies in Vive have been my go to cookie.

but today, I was thinking of the ones you suggested and gave 'em a whirl.

Oh. MY! soooo good!!! I subbed EB for the margarine and absolutely loved 'em! thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

all looks amazing, thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

I want to swim in that ziti--yum.

I think everyone should celebrate Yom Kippur. What a great concept. (That's why it's been around practically forever.)