NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Vegan Dilemma Solutions

Here's what I did (see the post below):

1) I text paged my coworker. Yes text paged her -- this was one of those crazy days where I just couldn't escape the cath lab, and wouldn't run into her otherwise. I said, "Thanks so much for the Indian dinners, that was really sweet of you. Unfortunately, since I'm a vegan, I can't eat them because they have milk. Sorry!" I might whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies as a token of my gratitude, because it was nice of her to think of me.

2) I took the sweater. I'd rather re-use something that would otherwise be given away or end up in a landfill. Further, this way I didn't buy a sweater, which would involve using up resources, energy, and probably in some manner isn't good for the environment. Besides, who other than me will know it's cashmere?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you took the right descisions, i think also that will be great if you make those cookies for her too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vegan Doc,
I've been facing similar quandries lately. I think I would have done the same thing: say a polite no to the food w/dairy, and wear the 2nd-hand sweater.

That said, I do have mixed feelings about the sweater thing. I still have lots of pre-vegan wool clothing items, and because they are so visible, I don't want them to send the message that it's okay--in any way--to exploit animals for human goods. I still wear them, but my discomfort with them grows all the time. I'm glad you raised the question, though. It's important to consider the options here.

funwithyourfood said...

Good decisions!

Teddy