NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Destination: Boston 2010

I want to run the Boston Marathon. And I don't just want to run it -- I could get a charity spot to raise funds and go that way. I want to qualify for the 2010 Boston Marathon.

I've got a long way to go. My fastest marathon time is 4:57 one year ago, but I have gotten significantly faster as a runner since then. I have to be able to run a marathon in 3:40 in order to qualify.

I talked this over with my coach. Given that it's a year and a half away, I have time. It's going to be a lot of training, speed work, and tempo runs. But I'm also going to have to drop a couple of pounds, maybe ten or so. It's not that I have some sort of body image problem, but in order to be able to run the speed that I would need to run, I need to weigh less.


I lived in Boston for a year. It was an amazing year, a transition time in my life. I absolutely love the city. I miss running on the Charles and living just blocks from the Boston Common, the Theater District, great restaurants and nightlife, and many different T stations that would take me just about anywhere I want to go in the city in just minutes.

I had a charity spot to run the marathon back in 2007, when I lived in Boston. Unfortunately, due to a nagging iliotibial band injury, I had to give up the spot. On that Marathon Monday, though, I went out to Coolidge Corner in Brookline, about Mile 22, and I cheered on lots of runners, runners who were struggling toward the finish line but still going strong. It was such a great atmosphere.

So this is my big goal. With a coach to guide me, and with a lot of hard work, I think I can do it.
Photos from flickr.com and hulbei.net

8 comments:

Cate said...

I'll be there to cheer you on!

Adelina said...

Good luck! Stop by in NH and visit Christa and me! :)

Jen said...

Awesome goal! I know you'll pull it off. What a life--you get to train in CA year-round and race Boston :-) It's the best of both coasts, for sure!

Anonymous said...

What a great goal! You can totally do it!

Ellen Jaffe Jones said...

it's so important that doctors, especially cardiologists, stress the importance of a healthy vegan diet. How cool that you do so much to be an athletic role model too. Thanks for your courage and good luck!

Carlos Serrano said...

good luck from Spain!!

Bridget said...

Just found your blog and I am so happy I did! Right now, I am going for my first half, I can't imagine a full marathon. I am in awe. Can't wait to hear how your training goes.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! What time are you at, now? Keep us posted.