NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Taper

A Taper is a period of time during which we back down the amount of exercise that we are doing in preparation for an upcoming race.

I've never truly embraced the concept of a taper.  When I decrease the amount of exercise that I am doing, I feel sluggish.  Invariably, I gain a pound or two because I'm not as active.  But, when I stick with the taper plan and am rested before a race, I do well.

Last weekend's 18 miler went much better than the one before it.  I had some good runs this week.  This morning, I ran a total of 8 miles, six of those miles with the LA Leggers 9-minute per mile pace group, which is the first time that I have run with this faster group.  It was a challenge  running 8:20 per mile for eight minutes and then walking a minute, and keeping that pace while running up a couple of steep hills, but I was able to do it.

Tomorrow I'm doing a 5K race, just to get an idea of how much I've improved since July, when I had a personal best of 24:55.  I would love to break 24 minutes.  Then I'm going to go for an easy hour-long bike ride.

My strategy for Race Day at the Long Beach Marathon next Sunday:  Coach Jamie wants me to start at a 9:15/mile pace.  I think that's a little aggressive, but if I'm rested up enough, maybe I can keep that pace up for the race.  If around mile 7-8 I feel like that's a little too fast, I'll back it down.  My goal is to run in under 4 hours and 5 minutes.

1 comment:

The Daily Reviewer said...

Hi!

Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 Vegan Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/vegan

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here : http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges/vegan

P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

Cheers!

Angelina Mizaki
Selection Committee President
The Daily Reviewer
http://thedailyreviewer.com