NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Where I'm At

I've been coach-less for three weeks and doing mostly what I want for exercise.

Needless to say, I didn't qualify for Boston.  However, I am proud to say that in the course of eighteen months that I cut my marathon time down from 4:57 to 4:12.  I'm proud to say that through much effort and good coaching that I'm a better runner.  One day I'll qualify for Boston, it just won't be this year, or likely next year since I'll be shifting my focus to Ironman training.

However, I decided to run the CIM Marathon after all.  I'm already signed up and I love doing long training runs, so I'm going to just do it.

I have only been running three days a week.  Last week, I ran 4 miles on Monday, six miles of hills on Friday morning, then twenty miles on Saturday morning.  Perhaps the six miles of hills on Friday made Saturday's run more painful than it needed to be.  Nonetheless, I finished the long run.

Another thing I've noticed with less exercise is that I can't get away with eating quite as much.  In peak training for my 70.3 (half-Ironman distance) races, I could easily maintain my weight on 2700-2800 calories per day.  Now, doing only about an hour of cardio 5-6 days per week and two days of weights, it's more like 2400 calories per day.

I feel great.  Relaxed.  Eager to start Ironman base training in January.

1 comment:

Matthew Ruscigno said...

My peak training for marathons and iron-distance includes only 3 days of running per week. I figure I get plenty of cardio from cycling and swimming. Three days of running is enough for the muscular benefits. I do one long run, one fast run and one sort of mid-tempo run. Keeps it fresh and has less impact.