NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

After the Ironman...

It's been ten days since Ironman Lake Placid.

To answer the question I've heard the most:  How's the knee?  -- It is still sore.

I took off the two days following the race from exercising.  I was traveling, but my knee still hurt, and it's hard to exercise while limping.

I was back in the pool last Wednesday and swam 1000 meters in about 28 minutes.  I was slow.  I was tired.  But it felt good to get back in the pool.

I've worked out every day since.  I have taken it easy though.  I've swam a few times, went to a spin class, got on an elliptical, and even took a choreographed dance class.  It's been really interesting being without a coach and a schedule.

On Sunday, I tried to run.  I had been pain-free in my knee for two days and thought I could do it.  Nope.  About three quarters of a mile in, it hurt.  It hurt worse at a mile so I turned around.  A mile and a half into the run, I had to walk.

While nothing would make me happier right now than going for a run, I know that I can't.  I've learned from past experiences that ignoring minor injuries turns them into more major injuries that will keep me out of running for even longer.

I've changed the focus of my training.  Rather than focusing on endurance, I'm focusing on bodybuilding.  I'll be weight training five days a week.  I've never done this before, but I look forward to the challenge.

1 comment:

JL Goes Vegan said...

I think your idea is such a good one (weights) I think it's good to completely shift gears for a few weeks. I'm no Ironman (and never will be!) but I do have a "cycle" during the year. Half-marathon training in the first few months of the year, triathlon for spring / summer, end of season half-marathon and then 2 months of light cardio / yoga / weight training. It took several years of injuries to realize -- for me -- diversifying my training keeps me healthy. I know it's frustrating when you can't do what you want, though. You'll be back on the road in no time.