NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Vacation!!!

Greetings from beautiful Turks and Caicos!

I fully realize how negligent I have been in updating this blog. It has been a good new year so far. I am fortunate to be on vacation right now.

Vacation is a time to take a break. But it doesn't mean all good habits go by the wayside.

I don't have any grueling 4 hour team bike rides or 17 mile trail run.  But I did run barefoot on the sand for 30 minutes and took a boot camp class (which seriously pales in comparison to Barry's boot camp classes in LA)

And the buffet has lots of choices. I suppose one could load up with cheeseburgers and dessert, and I saw people doing that. My plate was mostly vegetables, some tofu, bean salad, and some spaghetti with tomato sauce. Though I did have a couple of mini Oreo cookies, it was still a healthy lunch.

There's an open bar too. The opportunity is there to be drunk all day. On my first day I had two cocktails. I will probably have one more today.

Vacation is not a time of pure decadence. It's about letting loose, but still maintaining some semblance of our healthy lifestyle.

3 comments:

Deb Hadden said...

Hello,

I read a previous post you made regarding your SVT experiences. I commented on that post. I'm glad to have run across your blog and link you on mine. I'm looking forward to reading through the rest of your blog. I had my 4th SVT yesterday, and my husband just had to antiograms in the last two months. We are also vegans, following the Reverse Heart Disease diet. I have been bouncing between Dr. McDougall's, plan and being an almost vegetarian having meat once per week for 16 years. I didn't start feeling healthy until I fully committed to the low-fat plant based diet. My husband, has not been as strict as I, having meat once a week. That was enough to block two arteries. His story is on my blog http://www.coronarychronicle.blogspot.com

Our cardiologist, Enrico Martin, is also a vegan and very supportive my husbands change to low-fat plant based vegan.

Take care and thanks for posting your experiences.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Really a help for me.

Dickenson Heart Doctor

Deb Hadden said...

Dr. Shenkman,

Have you ever noticed the connection of an irritated stomach and your SVT episodes? After having my 4th episode in three months, I am starting to notice a trend. I have celiac's disease, and the days I have had my SVT's, without fail, I have felt like I have been glutened. I wrote about it on my blog...

http://www.coronarychronicle.blogspot.com

Debbie