NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Retired Triathlete

I've spent 10 years training and competing.  Now I'm taking a break.

My mind isn't in the endurance or the competition right now.  And I am not signed up for any races this year.  While training, I thrived on the structure of planned workouts, logging my miles and feeding back to my coach.  Now, I exercise when I want; I love that I no longer need to adhere to a schedule.

I joined Golden Road Aquatics master swim program, and you'll find me in the pool most mornings of the week.  It's great cardiovascular exercise, gentle on the joints, and it's only a mile from my Burbank office. 
I'm learning so much, improving my backstroke and breast stroke.  I can even do a reasonable butterfly stroke and not feel like a dying fish!  I have even swam in a meet.  I wasn't fast, but it was fun to dive off the blocks.

My focus right now is swimming.  But, when I'm not swimming, I'm often at Barry's Bootcamp for their hourlong workouts consisting of treadmill and floor exercises. I am there about three times a week, and that's about the extent of my running these days.  I'm also doing a little bit of yoga, and a bit of spinning, and every so often a strength training session.

My bikes and my trail shoes are gathering dust from lack of use.  And that's okay.

So, that's where I'm at -- trying to become a swimmer, and exercising for the sake of exercise.  It's awfully relaxing.  I might sign up for a triathlon in a year from now, or a road race, but for now I'm content..

No comments: