NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Firecracker 10k

Up until this weekend, I hadn't raced in about six weeks.  But, there were two great races this weekend, the Race on the Base triathlon (see post below), and the Firecracker 10k today. 

The Firecracker 10k was held in Chinatown.  It's the hilliest race I've ever run.  The first 3/4 of a mile is a gradual incline.  Then until mile 3 it's a climb, and some of it is quite steep.  The scenery in Elysian Park was beautiful, followed by the course winding along Dodger Stadium, and ending downtown. 

I finished in 54:52, a time that I'm quite proud of given the hills on the course.  The last standalone 10k (as in not part of a triathlon) that I ran was eight years ago back in Detroit, and my time was twelve minutes slower on a flat course.  It's good to know that even though I am getting older I'm still faster :)

3 comments:

Mona said...

I really admire your dedication to keeping yourself active. It seems like it would be a lot with the stress of being a doctor. Of course, my experience meeting highly professionally or personally successful people suggests that such people often invest in taking care of themselves. (More than I do at any rate!)

I had a question for you though. I've recently returned to swimming and I'm finding that the psychological benefits are enormous. When I was in high school, I toyed with the idea of doing a triathlon relay with two of my friends. I don't think either is still interested, but I might like to complete a (sprint distance!!) triathlon at some point. How do you suggest tacking such a thing (bearing in mind that I have not been on a bicycle in nearly 7 years)?

VeganHeartDoc said...

Mona -- check out this link: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/03/training/jumping-in-key-triathlon-training-guidelines-for-beginners_7385

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.