NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, May 30, 2011

BBQ -- Vegan Style

I could talk your ear off about how tasty a healthy vegan meal can be.  Or I can just feed you fabulous food.  Yesterday, I threw a backyard BBQ.  Here's what I served up:


Kebabs with peppers, tofu, baby bella mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and pineapple, marinated in Soy Vay sauce.


A big salad full of organic lettuce, grated carrots, peppers, cucumbers, pear, mango, cinnamon almonds, cilantro, and dried cranberries.


Hors d'oeuvres -- cut up veggies, jicama, hummus, salsa, and (in the upper right corner) Texas Caviar, which consists of peppers, black and pinto beans, cilantro, jalapeno, vinegar, and date syrup.


More hors d'oeuvres -- to the left is a bean dip with vegetarian refried beans, guacamole, Tofutti sour cream, and Daiya vegan cheese.


"Crab cakes" made by Lisa K., from tempeh and some other ingredients, baked not fried.  Yum!


Mom's chili -- made from a mix by Fantastic Foods, but with a few variations, including canellini beans and Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes.


And, you can't forget dessert!!!  Chocolate brownies with chocolate frosting, and carrot cake.

5 comments:

Cate said...

that all looks SO good! I love the kabobs. I make similar ones with chicken, but I will try the tofu next time. I assume you used a firm tofu?

VeganHeartDoc said...

The kabobs were made with extra-firm tofu that was cubed and marinated overnight before grilling

Anonymous said...

O recipes please! o my - drool!

Christian Alberto Ledesma said...

Dr. Shenkman, Do you know of any Vegan or Vegan-friendly cardiologists in NYC?

VeganHeartDoc said...

C.A.L. (aka Mr. L.), I'm sorry I don't know of any vegan-friendly cardiologists in NYC. By the way, love your science teacher blog!