NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

I'm shocked.

Terrorism has directly impacted our sport, running.

I have friends who ran today, and they are fortunately safe.

Boston holds a special place for me.  As a runner, it hosts the ultimate marathon that many of us aspire to run.  But, Boston was home for me for a year, 2006-2007.  My circumstances for going there were less than ideal, having just gone through a divorce.

After dropping my belongings off at my new apartment, my family left.  I remember doing what I do anywhere unfamiliar -- I put on my running shoes.  I ran past the Boston Common, down Newbury Street, up Boylston Street, past the painted finish line of the famous marathon, and back home.  I vowed to make that year memorable, and I certainly did that.  I met some great people (Gideon, Maya, Carey aka Professor Douchebag, SDA who listened to my horrible HHL stories, amongst many others) who made great impressions on my life and I neglect to keep in touch as well with as I should.

I even got a number to run the 2007 Boston Marathon as a charity runner for CJP, Boston's Jewish Federation, but had to bow out due to iliotibial band issues.  On the day of the marathon in 2007, I left work a little early and came out to watch the runners in Brookline.  By the time I got out there, it was mostly the back-of-the-pack charity runners, but if anyone needed encouragement toward the finish line, it was them.

My heart goes out to the city of Boston, my former home, and everyone affected by today's tragedy.

Tomorrow I'll wear one of my race shirts as my show of solidarity for Boston, as many others will be doing.

And, while I've wanted to run Boston, now I want that more than ever.

No comments: