NEW LOCATION!

MY NEW OFFICE --
18663 Ventura Blvd, Suite 202, Tarzana CA 91356
818-938-9505

Friday, August 25, 2006

Burning Out.... and Finding New Goals

I've been fighting the feelings of burnout over the past few weeks with my triathlon training. I've grown tired of finding somewhere to ride my bike -- you can read of my frustrations here or here. My back tire wouldn't hold air and I did this subconscious passive-aggressive thing of not getting it fixed for two weeks. And, even though swimming is my best of the three triathlon sports, that's getting old too.

Running is my favorite sport. Of the three tri sports, running gives the biggest endorphin high. When you're running, people look at you and think, "I should be doing that!"

My last triathlon will be the Boston Triathlon, which is 9 days from now. After that, my goal is to run a half marathon in Lowell in mid-October. I'm excited to get back to running, as I haven't done a half marathon or marathon in almost 5 years.

My ultimate goal is to run the Boston Marathon this spring. I would not be able to live with myself if in my year in Boston I did not participate in the marathon. There is no way I could qualify at my current ability level, but I can run with a charity. (I wonder if the cath lab considers Patriots' Day a holiday....? hmmm....) More on this in the future. But, a fall half marathon is a good warm-up for winter marathon training.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - good for you. I find it amazing that running is your favourite of the 3 sports. Personally, I have the most experience with running and technically it's my best sport of the 3, but that's only because I haven't had enough practice with swimming and biking yet. I find running so absolutley draining ...cardiovasciallarly (I can't spell that word!), it's so much more difficult!

Boston marathon...it so amazing that you are going to do that. It's such a gruling (can't spell that either) route! My friend Ewa did it 2 years ago, and it was such a huge milestone in her life. I hope you have great fall training season and that Boston goes well. I'll be reading to find out!

KleoPatra said...

Wishing you the best in your quest, Vegan Doc. As a long time runner/biker/swimmer (not all three together, however) I feel your frustration on many fronts and have been burnt out so many times over the years...

Do what makes you HAPPY, that's truly the key.

Mikaela said...

See Heather run. Run Heather run!

:) Mikaela